9.02.2010

What's in a Name?

The Neffs are big on nicknames. They even nicknamed themselves - the Klumps. They nickname strangers. They nickname neighbors. In-laws, friends, just about anybody really can be nicknamed. Some nicknames have staying power, like Nanner and Fudgey. But not every nickname sticks and so sometimes they just fade from memory.



So in a Neff tradition, we've nicknamed our boys. Levi, a.k.a. Tyke. Joel, a.k.a. Tubbs (or Tubby, Tubbers). Baby Levi was "Bub" because ... I don't remember why. I think Ben nicknamed him that and it was never my favorite. Baby Joel is also "the Dominator" because he dominates his toys, and seems to have a drive to get what he wants. And just yesterday Ben called him "Magellan" because he likes to explore and discover.



Ben and I really don't have nicknames ourselves. Maybe we'll get some nice ones someday. But it's something that can't be rushed and forced, being nicknamed just kinda happens on it's own. "Afterthought" and "Crumpet" just don't seem to me to be the kind that last.

What's your nickname?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Since you asked.....I've had a bunch over the years! Ramona...and of course my mind just went blank. Anyway, kudos for this blog entry! SUPER FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebekah said...

I'm Baklava. Ethan and I together are the duo (I guess that's affectionate :P) Ethan is E or E-man