8.15.2009

Our Garden

Levi by the garden in June


We have clay soil - surprise, surprise. So this spring when we decided to branch out from having just a tomato plant, Ben built a raised-bed garden. This summer we've grown radishes, carrots, banana peppers, cucumbers, and Roma & cherry tomatoes. I am amazed at how big the cucumber plants grow, we're still enjoying their bounty! I love that Levi knows the name of each of the plants. I love that when a recipe calls for tomatoes, we can just pick as many as we need.

We also have one small blueberry bush, and will be getting another for next year. It was the first thing Levi toddled to when he went outside. "Berries! Berries!" He did a pretty good job of not picking the green ones. He'd just pet it mostly. But sadly, it's done producing for the year.

Next year, we plan to make the garden longer, giving everything more room to grow. And I'd like to try growing some new veggies and fruits. Maybe some strawberries (which Levi would absolutely love), green peppers, peas, or broccoli.

Do you have a garden? What have you enjoyed eating out of it?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I enjoy that Levi petted the blueberries, too cute! No garden here, just some random flowers from Menards.