3.22.2011

1000 Book Club

Today I did something that I've really been looking forward to doing.  Today I signed Levi up for the 1000 Book Club at Butler's library!

And what's the first thing to do after that?  Get lots of books, of course!  So I filled our big Grandma-made tote-bag full of books... while chasing Joel down as he toddled here-and-there-and-everywhere and while Levi played with the library's train table and play-kitchen.  Which reminds me, I need to start stalking craigslist & garage sales for play-kitchens.  Levi, wearing a tiny oven mitt, made a cake & chicken salad.  Fantastic!

Where was I.... oh yes...

The 1000 Book Club is a program based off the principles in "Reading Magic" by Mem Fox.   I read the book last week - only took a day.  It was a small, enjoyable book that explains the benefits of reading aloud to your children.  I recommend it!

So this 1000 Book Club aims to have parents (or grandparents... or aunts... hint, hint) read aloud to their child every day for at least 10 minutes, which is about how long it takes to read 3 stories.  It takes roughly a year to make it to 1000 at that rate.  The goal is to prepare the child for learning to read.

To say I was excited to read stories tonight with Levi would be an understatement.  And after I explained the club to him and showed him the chart the library gave us with 100 little squares to fill in - well, he was pretty excited too.   He really wanted to read a story so he could put a sticker on a little square.  But he was looking forward to reading the new library books even before he knew stickers were involved.

So we read four stories:  "Snow White," "Madeline and the Bad Hat," "Madeline's Christmas," and "Blaze Shows the Way."  We could've read more, only it was bedtime and both boys were getting pretty tired.  Ah, well, there's always tomorrow.

4 down.  996 to go.  Wanna help?

No comments: